Friday, October 16, 2015

The Dragon Turns Two...And Then Three

My little dragon is getting so big. He just turned two.  He is well over three feet tall, and 30 solid muscular pounds.  He is stubborn, willful and mischievous.  He is stunningly beautiful.  He is sensitive, and he is brave.  On his birthday, I looked back through my mind's files on our delivery and I find it very washy.  The lines in my memory's photos are very blurry.  The pain is so distant.  Today, the pleasure of having a happy, healthy dragon is intense.  I feel my good fortune deeply every day.

Yesterday, he read me the stop sign, "S-T-Oval-RED!"  This morning when I knocked my glasses off the nightstand, he said "Oh, no!  Mommy glasses down!"  Every time he says something new, I marvel!  I know millions of children have said things for the first time millions of times in the history of the Earth, but for me, he makes everything around me new again.  He makes connections every minute of every day that make me rethink my comfortable paradigms.

He loves being outside.  We walk around the apartment complex.  He shows us ants, spiders, bugs, lizards, butterflies, snails.  He picks up big chunks of rock and throws them into bushes.  He points out the airplanes and the helicopters, the motorcycles and the moon.

He still loves to snuggle at night.  Every time I hold him and he puts his head on my shoulder, even if he is mad or crying, I thank the spirit of the universe for this time, this moment.  I never know when it may be the last time I hold him like that.

Of course, his favorite words are No and Mine.  He's two after all.



I haven't posted on this blog for almost 18 months.  I found this old saved draft from last October.  He just turned three last week.  Over 40 inches and 40 pounds.  Size 11 (wide) shoes.  Still stubborn, willful and mischievous.  Still beautiful, sensitive and brave.  Speaks two languages.  Challenges me minute to minute, mostly in good ways.
The dragon in minion pajamas, sporting a hard hat and wielding a drill.

Every time we pass a "bargage" truck, a "ment mixer" or a "bunp-trunk", he points it out and tells us what color it is.  We have learned new words from him, like "frontloader" and "exacator" (excavator).  He counts to twenty in English and Spanish.  Sings "Opa Donald had a farm" and the alphabet song (he usually mumbles his way through L-M-N-O on his way from K to P).  He loves to play in the dirt with his construction trucks, moving earth from one place to another.  He loves guns (GASP!) and "Light Da'Queen" (Lightning McQueen), Mater, Sally, Mack and Dusty Crophopper.

He finally started sleeping through the night a couple of months after his ear surgery and now we no longer dread going to bed, not knowing when we will be awakened.  But the first two years, boy were they hard.  So hard, we have not even thought twice about having a second child...I worry it would destroy me in so many ways and I am just now building myself back up.

We had a tumultuous summer - after graduating fellowship and leaving Miami, we spent a week in Bradenton, 5 weeks in Ecuador including a long weekend in the Galapagos, a week in Tampa, and two weeks in Huntsville before moving into our new home.  Then we found out it had termites and had to move out again for three days to have it tented!  We have had many visitors, Barbara and Jerry, Mom and Dad, Betty, Santiago and Cristina.  Santy and Cris came to the US to run the Chicago marathon last weekend, with Diego.  What a stupendous event!

Miami Children's Daycare had a farewell sign and party for Rafa.

 
We will never forget all the great friends we made in Miami!!!
Eating cotton candy in Carolina park
Despite the tumult, we have been able to relax a little bit too.  Not having to work for 2 1/2 months was a first time experience for me (since high school anyway!) and allowed me to unwind a little bit and transition into my new life. It took Rafa a while to get used to seeing me all the time.

I studied for and took my written pediatric surgery boards, submitted two papers and am now working on a presentation for the end of the month at a national meeting.  While in Ecuador, I had vision correction surgery, and am now corrective lens FREE!!!

We've been able to slowly work on potty training.  He's getting really good at telling us when he needs the bathroom.  I was never worried that it wouldn't happen, even though he is on the older side for it.  He's always been slow at those sorts of things...but still, you always worry as a parent.  Even though you know things are going to eventually work themselves out.

Making homemade playdough in Betty's kitchen.
Boy, was I ready to start back to work!  Everyone here at the hospital has been super.  They are so happy to have me here; everyone has been unbelievably welcoming and accommodating.  I feel appreciated and useful!  And my schedule is, well MINE.  That sacred space I talked about before- now is the time when I can make it.  I am so thankful to be at this point in my life, finally, after what seems like too many years of racing (or trudging) to this goal.  I am so thankful to be done with that marathon.

Running in the old airport, Cotopaxi in the background.
And on that note, I started running again.  I really enjoy it.  I signed up for some more races, like the West Palm Beach Half this coming December.  And, I hope to do the full Pittsburgh marathon next spring - which leads me to the (hopefully) second semiannual reunion of Team Awesome!!!  Having a target helps give me the motivation I need to actually do the "legwork," all the long training runs.  Starting back running in Ecuador was pretty tough, given the lack of oxygen at 9300 feet above sea level, but if there's anything I've learned in my time running, it's slow and steady.  Start small.  Take baby steps.  And enjoy the journey.  You'll get to the destination soon enough.


Long runs with my suegrito.

A thankfully brief stop in the ER in Quito when Rafa had severe vomiting from gastroenteritis and needed IV fluids and medications.  Total bill: $220.

Getting spoiled by Beticita with breakfast in bed.

Walking amongst Abuelito Edison's coffee plants.
Digging holes in Papá Nelson's backyard.
Picking mandarin oranges in Checa.

The gang: Diego, Tara, Dany, Andreita, Santiago

Watching iPad with Tía Cris

Two blessedly temperate weeks in Huntsville in August - we got lots of good porch sitting under our belts.

Running around in Oma and Opa's huge backyard.  We loved being in Huntsville!!!

2 comments:

  1. Que bonito recuento de los ultimos 18 meses, gracias Tarita... me gusto inmensamente

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivir es compartir y las fotos son recuerdos imperecederos de una familia que se ama,
    gracias TARITA por todo lo que haces para mantenernos juntos.

    ReplyDelete